A very special Stray FM report has accompanied a patient at Harrogate District Hospital during hip replacement surgery.
Around 160,000 people have hip and knee replacement surgery every year in England and Wales (according to the National Joint Registry).
Jon Conroy, hip and knee surgeon, performs around 350 hip and knee replacements and revisions every year.
A hip replacement at Harrogate District Hospital
Michelle Griffiths is 59 years old and was suffering from osteoarthritis in her right hip.
She described the pain to Stray FM:
"It's generally a dull ache, but then several times a day it's like someone is just shooting bullets down your leg towards your foot."
Despite previous attempts to relieve her of pain, it was decided that a full hip replacement was the best option.
Referred from Pontefract to Harrogate District Hospital, Michelle did a lot of research into which surgeon to use and chose hip and knee specialist Jon Conroy.
Click here to find out more.
- Harrogate Hospital: behind the scenes of a hip replacement
- Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital Tour
- We now have national specific private surgery outcomes
- First Certificate presented at Royal College of Surgeons Diplomates Ceremony
- Patient engagement event Weetwood Hall Leeds Feb 2018